Wow, it's been a long time since I wrote anything in here. It seems I've been so busy doing stuff that there was no time left to write about it. Here's a quick look into what's been going on:
- A huge experience for me was composing a piece for symponic orchestra for the Toru Takemitsu Composition Award 2015.
- We launched a project called "Stringpurée Band & Kalevala Live", which involved composing new music for the silhouette animation films of Reino Niiniranta.
- I also did some extra tracks for the Oceanhorn steam version. I had some help from an excellent violinist Rista Tuura in making the tracks sound lively.
- I worked on a live TV show called "Putous" for two seasons, what a thrill!!
- We did two tours with Stringpurée Band as a part of Rundi3 in November 2014 and March 2015. More coming up in 2016!! Check it out: www.suvioskala.net/#!rundi3/c113r
- I composed the main theme for Momoka - An Interplanetary Adventure. The release date is 14.1.2016. More info here: http://felwig.com
- I composed the soundtrack for "Porot kuuluvat tuulelle" - a documentary about environmental conflict mediation in northern Finland. Again I had some help from the fantastic Rista Tuura and her violin. Release date is 22.1.2016. Come check it out! More info here (only in finnish): Porot kuuluvat tuulelle
- I got to know a lot of great people and play a lot of great music in 2015. Thank you new and old friends. :)
- I did the string arrangement for a song called: "Pölyhiukkasia ilmassa" by Hukka & Mama. And of course we had some help from Rista again. Stay tuned for the new album in 2016. www.facebook.com/hukkajamama
You would think that's all, but no! Here's what's coming up in 2016:
"Expansion" is the name of my second solo album. From the first rehersal it was clear that this music is meant to be played live, so I'm looking forward to releasing the album in May and going on tour. Besides me, the lineup features Jukka Kääriäinen, an innovative guitarist with a broad tonal palette and Janne Mathlin, one of my all-time favourite drummers. The album also features József Hárs on horn and Otto Eskelinen on saxophone and hopefully we'll see them on some live shows too. The compositions draw from various influences (jazz, progressive rock, dub, finnish folk music, gospel), but I also wanted to leave a lot of room for improvisation. I have a lot of delicious plans for the visual aspects of the live performances, so stay tuned. :)
I have started working on a series of works for solo instruments. It's called "Illuminations" and the instruments included are accordion, kantele, violin, piano, voice and guitar. The piece for accordion will be premiered by the masterful Harri Kuusijärvi in Tornio 11.5 and Kemi 12.5. Senni Eskelinen will premiere the piece for kantele at Musiikkitalo, Helsinki in August. I'm planning a concert for 2017 where all the pieces would be performed.
I wish you all a great year 2016!