Wow, it's been a long time since I wrote anything in here. It seems I've been so busy doing stuff that there was no time left to write about it. Here's a quick look into what's been going on:
- A huge experience for me was composing a piece for symponic orchestra for the Toru Takemitsu Composition Award 2015.
- We launched a project called "Stringpurée Band & Kalevala Live", which involved composing new music for the silhouette animation films of Reino Niiniranta.
- I also did some extra tracks for the Oceanhorn steam version. I had some help from an excellent violinist Rista Tuura in making the tracks sound lively.
- I worked on a live TV show called "Putous" for two seasons, what a thrill!!
- We did two tours with Stringpurée Band as a part of Rundi3 in November 2014 and March 2015. More coming up in 2016!! Check it out: www.suvioskala.net/#!rundi3/c113r
- I composed the main theme for Momoka - An Interplanetary Adventure. The release date is 14.1.2016. More info here: http://felwig.com
- I composed the soundtrack for "Porot kuuluvat tuulelle" - a documentary about environmental conflict mediation in northern Finland. Again I had some help from the fantastic Rista Tuura and her violin. Release date is 22.1.2016. Come check it out! More info here (only in finnish): Porot kuuluvat tuulelle
- I got to know a lot of great people and play a lot of great music in 2015. Thank you new and old friends. :)
- I did the string arrangement for a song called: "Pölyhiukkasia ilmassa" by Hukka & Mama. And of course we had some help from Rista again. Stay tuned for the new album in 2016. www.facebook.com/hukkajamama
You would think that's all, but no! Here's what's coming up in 2016:
"Expansion" is the name of my second solo album. From the first rehersal it was clear that this music is meant to be played live, so I'm looking forward to releasing the album in May and going on tour. Besides me, the lineup features Jukka Kääriäinen, an innovative guitarist with a broad tonal palette and Janne Mathlin, one of my all-time favourite drummers. The album also features József Hárs on horn and Otto Eskelinen on saxophone and hopefully we'll see them on some live shows too. The compositions draw from various influences (jazz, progressive rock, dub, finnish folk music, gospel), but I also wanted to leave a lot of room for improvisation. I have a lot of delicious plans for the visual aspects of the live performances, so stay tuned. :)
I have started working on a series of works for solo instruments. It's called "Illuminations" and the instruments included are accordion, kantele, violin, piano, voice and guitar. The piece for accordion will be premiered by the masterful Harri Kuusijärvi in Tornio 11.5 and Kemi 12.5. Senni Eskelinen will premiere the piece for kantele at Musiikkitalo, Helsinki in August. I'm planning a concert for 2017 where all the pieces would be performed.
I wish you all a great year 2016!
Friday, January 8, 2016
Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Friday, March 28, 2014
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Here it is. My first album "Mörkö"!
I have to admit, it was a really tough project and I'm so relieved that it's done. The main reason for this was that this was the first album I produced myself. The respect I have for small record companies that keep doing the dirty work for unknown experimental and alternative artists just went up even more!
Of course I couldn't have done all of it by myself. The main thanks goes to Timo Kämäräinen, Linda Fredriksson and Niko Votkin for making time for this project in their busy schedules. I couldn't think of a better mix of musicians for this album. Special thanks to Timo for doing the recording also. I'd also like to thank Pentti Dassum for the wonderful mixing job, Janne Mathlin for all-around help during the studio session, Martta-Kaisa Virta for the amazing cover art and Jaakko Viitalähde for the finish touch in mastering the album.
The album basically tells the tale of a day in a life of an fictional yeti-like creature ("Mörkö" means bugbear or boogieman in finnish) that lives in Koli national park. The music is instrumental so it's all about conveying different moods. The tunes are build around folkish melodies though the arrangements draw from rock and jazz aesthetics.
At this time you can only order it directly from me (kalleylitalo(at)gmail.com) though I'm planning to outsource the internet distribution soon. The price is 15 euros plus the postage (2 euros or 3 euros depending on the country).
Wednesday, March 12, 2014
Finnish Music Quarterly released an article about finnish game music. I was happy to be interviewed for it along with two great finnish game composers Petri Alanko and Veli-Matti Mattson. You can find the article here:
Thursday, February 6, 2014
We were recording our third album with Stringpurée Band last week at Finnvox studios in Helsinki. The legendary engineer Risto Hemmi was recording with us on the first three days and the last two we did with Aki Sihvonen. Both guys are extremely professional and easy to work with. Also our band was well prepared for the sessions. Our first album "Senni Eskelinen & Stringpurée Band" back in 2008 was a soft-sounding first and it was a good album but maybe a bit too careful for my taste. The second one "Fedja" was something completely different. A different studio, different engineer, different sound. We wanted to go to the other extreme and the album sounds pretty raw. I think for the third album our band has found its voice and sound. It's somewhere in the middle where every musician in the band is able to stretch the limits and traditional roles of their instrument but everything still works together. I think all the tunes work well together also. We all did some composing for the album, but most of the pieces are Senni's. With this band the collective arranging is sometimes as important as the compositions though, but it varies from tune to tune. Anyways it's gonna be our best album yet!
Here's some pics from the studio. In the pictures are also our marvelous visitors Emil Luukkonen - organ, Kaisa Leskinen - vocals and Topi Korhonen - mandolin and trumpet. And of course our producer Kosmo Salminen in the picture with Senni. :) Enjoy!
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
It's 11/12/13 and the new Lara tune "Undertow" has been released. Check it out on Spotify and buy it on Itunes, it's not that expensive. :)
|Photo by Petteri Vilkin|